Income Pages

Gambling Winnings and Deducting Losses

Gambling and Taxes

Cleyton Ewerton, Unsplash

In gambling, there are winners and losers. But even the winners can be losers if they don't pay their taxes! Any money you win while gambling or wagering is considered taxable income by the IRS, as is the fair market value of any nonmonetary prizes you earn. This means there is no way to avoid paying taxes on gambling winnings. Gambling income isn't just card games and casinos; it also includes winnings from racetracks, game shows, lotteries, and possibly even bingo. Certain special rules apply to gambling income, and the IRS requires strict record-keeping requirements.

  • However, you may be able to deduct gambling losses when you itemize your deductions.
  • Your gambling winnings or losses are generally reported on Form W-2G or via Form 5754.

The easiest and most accurate way to find out how to report your gambling winnings and losses is to start a free tax return on Based on your answers to several questions, the e-File app will select and prepare the tax forms necessary to report your gambling winnings and losses on your tax return. However, read on if you want to learn more about how your gambling income affects your taxes. Your Tax Return is due on the April IRS tax deadline. Prepare to prepare your tax return with this comprehensive checklist of tax-related steps to take or this list of forms or documents to collect.

Estimate your Tax Return for free now and include your gambling income or losses.

Taxable Gambling Income

Gambling income is almost always taxable, which is reported on your tax return as Other Income on Schedule 1 - eFileIT. This includes cash and the fair market value of any items you win. By law, gambling winners must report all of their winnings on their federal income tax returns. Depending on the amount of your winnings, you may receive Form W-2G, which reports the amount of your winnings and the amount of tax that was withheld, if any. For nonresident aliens, the amounts will be reported on your Form 1040-NR, Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. Why worry about all of these forms? Simply prepare and e-File with, and we will gather and generate the proper forms for you based on a few simple questions (except for Form 1040-NR, which cannot be prepared on From there, the proper gambling forms will be filed along with your Tax Return. Remember that even if you do not get a Form W-2G, you must report all gambling winnings on your return.

Gambling winnings include, but are not limited to, money or prizes earned from:

  • Casino games
  • Slot machines*
  • Keno*
  • Poker tournaments
  • Lotteries
  • Sweepstakes
  • Raffles
  • Betting pools
  • Gameshows
  • Horse or dog races
  • Off-track betting
  • Bingo.*

*Exception: winnings from keno, bingo, and slot machines may not be subject to tax withholding if certain circumstances are met. The payer of said winnings may need to be provided with a social security number to avoid withholding.

When Do I Get a W-2G?

If you win enough to receive Form W-2G, this should be sent to you by January 31, following the year in which you won the income. The form issuer typically will withhold the flat tax rate of 24% on your gambling winnings. Generally, the payer needs to provide you with the W-2G form if you win:

  • $1,200 or more from bingo or slot machines
  • $1,500 or more from Keno (minus your bet amount)
  • $5,000 or more from poker (minus your bet amount or buy-in price)
  • $600 or more or at least 300 times the amount of the wager at a horse track
  • Any amount of winnings described above is subject to federal income tax withholding

Even if you do not receive Form W-2G, the income must be reported on your tax return.

If gambling winnings are received that are not subject to tax withholding, you may have to pay an estimated tax. Not sure how much to pay? Use the W-4 TAXometer to estimate how much to withhold and avoid any tax penalties.

Your gambling winnings are generally subject to a flat 24% tax. However, for the following sources listed below, gambling winnings over $5,000 will be subject to income tax withholding:

  • Any sweepstakes, lottery, or wagering pool (this can include payments made to the winner(s) of poker tournaments).
  • Any other wager (if the proceeds equal to or exceed 300 times the bet amount).

State taxes vary for gambling winnings; some states also have a flat tax rate for gambling, while others may have more complicated rules.

If you win a non-cash prize, such as a car or a trip, you will be responsible for paying taxes on the fair market value of each prize. Depending upon the amount of your winnings and the type of gambling, the establishment or payer may be required to withhold income taxes. In general, 24% of the amount is required to be withheld. In some cases, a backup withholding of 24% is required instead. If tax is withheld from your gambling winnings, you will be sent a W2-G form from the payer.

Do I have to Report Small Winnings and/or Scratch Cards?

Generally, any income from gambling is taxable income - if you purchase a scratch card for $5 and win $20, the $15 should be reported on your taxes as income.

Gambling Losses

You may deduct gambling losses if you itemize your deductions. You can deduct your losses only up to the amount of your total gambling winnings. You must generally report your winnings and losses separately rather than reporting a net amount.

Gambling losses are deducted on Schedule A as a miscellaneous deduction and are not subject to a 2% limit. This means that you can deduct all losses up to the amount of your winnings, not just the amount over 2% of your adjusted gross income. When you prepare and e-File your return on, the eFile app will automatically generate your eFileIT Schedule A and add it to your return based on the deduction information you enter.

Gambling Records

The IRS requires you to keep detailed records of your gambling winnings and losses and any related documents, including receipts, tickets, payment slips, statements, and Form W-2G. You must be able to prove both your winnings and losses if you wish to deduct your losses. The IRS suggests that you keep a gambling log.

The IRS requires you to keep the following information about each gambling win and loss:

  • Date(s)
  • Type of gambling activity
  • Name and address of the establishment or event
  • Names of other people there at the time of the activity
  • Amounts of winnings and losses.

If you e-File your tax return, you do not have to send any W-2Gs or other documents to the IRS (but you must keep them for your records in case of an IRS audit).

Professional Gambling

The rules described on this page are for most people with gambling income - those who are not professional gamblers. If gambling is your profession, then your income is generally considered regular earned income and is taxed at your normal effective income tax rate. As a self-employed individual, you must report your income and expenses on eFileIT Schedule C, which the eFile app will automatically generate and add to your Tax Return based on the information you enter. You can deduct gambling losses as job expenses using Schedule C, not Schedule A. The tax app will generate all these forms for you.

Gambling Income Tax Requirements for Nonresidents

U.S. Nonresidents can usually report income that is "effectively connected" with a U.S. business on Form 1040-NR. Nonetheless, gambling winnings are considered "not effectively connected" and must generally be reported on Form 1040NR. Such income is generally taxed at a flat rate of 30%. Nonresident aliens often cannot deduct gambling losses. However, a tax treaty between the United States and Canada generally allows Canadian citizens to deduct their gambling losses up to the amount of their gambling winnings.

Reporting Gambling Winnings and Losses

If you have gambling winnings or losses, they must be reported on your tax return. When you prepare and e-File your return on, you will report your gambling income or losses during the tax interview, leading to a request for more information. We will prepare all the forms needed to report this on your return, so you don't have to worry about which form you need. walks you through the tax preparation process, helps you fill out the right forms, checks for errors, and we provide you with your own secure Personal Support Page if you have further questions or need help.